Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Dream Deferred: I am Starting to Sing on Key

Susan Boyle in pastels - Because of ongoing di...Image via Wikipedia
A few days ago, I just noticed that I am starting to be able to sing on key.... or, at least, when I wander off key, that I can put myself back on target.  I was washing the dishes and started to warble "I Had A Dream" from Les Miserables.




  I was just watching Susan Boyle on Youtube and had the song in my head.


  I Dreamed A Dream

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted



and then it came to me that I was actually SINGING ON KEY!!!!  I normally croaked my way through a song like this and what I lacked in technique, I usually made up for in gusto.  But, this time, I was ON KEY!!!


Well, not for all the song... but when I wasn't, I could get back on the horse and get back to the sound as it was meant to be.  


I stopped and then started singing Do-A-Dear from The Sound of Music and that WAS on KEY!  I was in tune.... Wooo Hoooooo!!!!  


I went from Do-A-Dear to Raindrops on Roses and The Sound of Music.  Next, I hit the Christmas carols.  Then, I went BIG and tried the Hallellujah Chorus from the Messiah and arias like "He Shall Feed His Flock", "The Trumpet Shall Sound".  I was riding the horse of singing on key and falling off but I was getting back on and finding my place!


Well,  The Hills Were Alive with the Sound of Music or at least my Kitchen was.


I just knelt down on the floor and collapsed, crying.  I had always loved music and loved to express myself but I've always been so god-awful at it  that my auditorium has been my shower store or my Acura Integra.   I always have sung my heart out... it's just no one could bear to listen.  I love Opera and there is nothing worse than massacred opera.  When you love opera and have no voice,  you aim so high and the arrow falls so far short.


Now, it takes more than just hitting the notes on key to produce a song like Susan Boyle does.    That takes breath control, posture, developing the range of the voice, etc.  But there is hope  that I can produce a reasonable sound if I work at it.  I do have a ways to go.  I am terribly nasal and will be seeing a doctor about nose problems later next month.  


I can't tell you what it means to me.  I was in the choir as a child until I was about 8 or 9 years old and then either my voice changed or people stopped being as tolerant as they were about my singing when I was smaller.  




Maybe I will do Tomatis for singers one day 






Reblog this post [with Zemanta]