Sunday, February 28, 2010

Magic Mouse

Mesal aspect of a brain sectioned in the media...Image via Wikipedia
As you know, I have motor apraxia, motor system dysfunction at the cortical level of my brain.  I haven't had an MRI so I don't know exactly what is not functioning but motor apraxia is localized in the left inferior parietal lobule, frontal lobes (especially the premotor cortex, supplementary motor area, and convexity), or corpus callosum (the interconnection between the left and right hemisphere.

When you decide to move your body, you recall previously stored 3 dimensional plans.  These 3-dimensional, supramodal codes, also called representations or movement formulae, are stored in the inferior parietal lobule of the left hemisphere.  It has been hypothesized that imitation of meaningless gestures and use of tool and objects depend on left parietal lobe integrity because of their demands on categorical apprehension of spatial relationships between multiple objects or between multiple parts of objects.

There are a number of different types of apraxia errors, these include errors of orientation of the hand around the object, errors of external spatial orientation, and movement errors.

I also have right-left confusion and can get very mixed up between my right and left hands. Some of these problems fall in the domain of the occupational therapist, physical therapist or vision therapist.

I got a Magic Mouse for my Mac at Christmas and it really helps me use the computer.  I don't have to deal with trying to pull at  something when I want to drag and drop.  I don't have to fumble around looking for a scroll bar and trying to grab it.  It really makes a big difference.   The entire top of the Magic Mouse is a seamless Multi-Touch surface... kind of like the Dove soap bar.

Since you move the cursor by moving the whole mouse with your hand, there's no point in also using one finger to move the cursor, like on the trackpad. Moving your finger on the surface of the Magic Mouse allows you to scroll in all directions, 360 degrees around.

You can also scroll with two or three fingers, if you move them up and down. But if you swipe them from side to side while using a web browser, your browsing history moves forward or back.

The Magic Mouse lets you use intuitive gestures, so you can easily scroll through long documents, pan across large images or swipe to move forward or backward through a collection of web pages or photos. Magic Mouse works for left or right handed users.


I got a little too clever with Magic Preferences and I was trying out pinching and different combinations for zooming in and out.  But, I was getting a little ahead of myself and lost control of the mouse...leaving my screen way too zoomed in.  In fact, I have zoomed in so far that I lost my web browser navigation bar and had to fumble around to get my screen back to normal size.  

But I did configure Magic Preferences so that I can toggle back and forth between the dashboard and expose with one tap.  Nice.

There is a rumor that the Magic Mouse could get more mighty... Apple has applied for a patent that would enable the mouse to tilt in 3 dimensions:  yaw, pitch and roll.  I don't know about that, I have enough problems trying to control what I got... Too much functionality isn't good for me.  I tend to forget what I am trying to do.