Thursday, March 11, 2010

The One Who Posses a Hundred Husbands Did Not Get My Engine Going

Reference ranges for estradiol and progesteron...Image via Wikipedia
My nutrtionist suggested that my current cognitive problems might be affected by my hormones.   When I was younger, I had the adrenaline to just power through my problems.  At middle age, I stop producing progesterone and it affects the amount of adrenaline that I am putting out and so I just don't have the oomph to ally-up-and-over like I used to.

I am just going through the change.... I had never thought too much about it since I am one of the lucky 25% that don't have too much in the way of symptoms:  No night sweats, no moodswings, no hot flashes.   Except for maybe some forgetfulness and just kind of a blah feeling-- lack of drive.  It never really occurred to me that I am getting older.


When I saw my holistic doctor to get to the bottom of my tummy problems, I finally started asking about my hormones.  He checked them and found out I was low.  So he prescribed Shatavari, a Indian herb. Shatavari means one 'who possesses a hundred husbands'.  Well, The One Who Posses a Hundred Husbands Did Not Get My Engine Going.  Possessing One Husband is enough for me!  Although hubby did say I could take on a second one as long as Husband #2 did the housework and paid the bills--Hubby wants to be a passion plaything!

Well, Shatavari helped a bit but I still felt that I was sputtering along.  So he has switched me to a bio-identical hormone, Pregnenolone, "the grandmother of all steroid hormones".  So I'll try it and what happens.  As Alice In Wonderland said, "Eat Me".

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]