Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vision Therapy Interim Results

An example of the Brock String in use for trea...Image via Wikipedia
Saw Dr. Herzberg and got the results from my interim assessment:

Binocular Vision:  Eye coordination/eye teaming was inadequate and is now normalized!  Apparently, my eye was turning outward.
  • Visual Memory Up!!! Went from the 9th percentile to the 85th percentile.  Yay!  This means what I see I can remember.  (Note:  According to George Mason University, apparently meditation can improve visual memory.  Deity Yoga where you zero in on an image of their deity, conjuring up a vivid, three-dimensional mental picture of it while honing in on the deity's emotions and environment apparently helps your visual memory)
  • Visual Form Perception:  TVPR-S Form Constancy went from 63rd to 95th percentile. 
  • Eye tracking Skills:  Developmental Eye Movement Test--Horizontal Tracking Speed went from 20th Percentile to 85th Percentile
  • Laterality Direction:  Gardner Recognition -- I pass    



There is still  working on stereovision (seeing in 3D).  I do well on the computer but it is not translating into space.  I think we had some miscommunication between me and the visual therapist.  Very briefly and only for a few fleeting instances, I saw 3D in space when I saw the floating snowflakes in the office.  But the sensation was gone 5 seconds later.  So this still needs work.  So we got out a Brock String (see above picture) and started doing exercises.  I got some home exercises to do at home.  On the vision3d website, there are some interesting tests you can do to see if you lack stereovision.   The Brock String is an interesting exercises.  First you focus on the green ball.  If you focus properly you will see 2 strings coming in and 2 strings going out.  Then you move on to the yellow and red balls and try to do the same thing.

Convergence insufficiency is still not where it should be.   I still have some problems with focusing and accomodation.

We are also working on audio-visual integration by doing some drills with a bunch of different colored shapes.  Marianne calls out the sequence and I arrange them.  I do mediocrely 70% on a computer test of audio-visual integration where the dots are beeped in different sequences but I think I am gaming the system by hearing part of the sequence and selecting the best choice out of multiple choice.  When I did a similar test with the audiologist, Maxine Young which revolved around describing the sequence verbally, I failed it royally with a big fat 0% correct.

These tests are particularly valuable for certain populations with the following problems:

Additionally, normal athletes who want to improve their game may find that vision therapy may give them the edge they need:
  • Golfers,
  • Basketball Players
  • Baseball Players
  • Tennis Players
  • Football Players
  • Hockey Players
Althletes at all levels of ability have benefited from vision therapy from Little League to the Major League.  See Dr. Seiderman's books about his use of vision therapy to improve players such as Bill Bradley and Billie Jean Kean.


The athletic eye: Improved sports performance through visual training