Saturday, June 12, 2010

What Was Said and, Perhaps Not Said, About Flying

Little airplaneImage via Wikipedia
I had asked Dr. Herzberg, my optometrist, about whether I can learn to fly someday (not in the near future, I have too many things to do) and I have been pondering her answer that I can learn as long as I practice on a simulator first.  Fortunately that is pretty standard practice in most flight programs so it should be easy to manage.  But, I am wondering if what she is saying indirectly is that yes, you can lead a normal life and even do some things that test even average people's visual, visual-motor, motor systems, but you will need to tee it up a bit more than the average person.  

I am a bit saddened by this thought... I think part of me is thinking that all my defects will be completely remedied if I just work hard at my therapies...but, that might not be so.   I was really hoping so for vision and motor skills to be repaird.  Hearing loss--I'm a bit resigned to.  The next thought is how to detect the defects and decide which ones are fixable and which ones won't be.  It is not too comforting to think about stumbling about unaware.  This is a real problem as the very mechanism that are needed to detect deficits are the ones that are impaired. Oh, Woe...woe...woe.... woe is me.  (Bout of self pity here).

On the other hand, there is still a good bit of work to do on all fronts, so I shouldn't lose heart. And getting depressed about it will only get in the way of practicing the skills I need to practice.  It ain't over till it's over.  The fat lady hasn't sung yet.  It will take a good bit of determination and grit to plow through it.  So shoulder to the wheel.  Once more to the breech!
Bookmark and Share
Enhanced by Zemanta