Friday, July 16, 2010

The Broken Record of Perseveration

Schober-TestImage via Wikipedia
I have been told that I perseverate on my neuropsych exam.

So what does that mean in real life?

I don't know and I am trying to find out.  I don't think it happens with physical habits like it does with folks with Autism or Aspergers.  I don't sit and twiddle or repeat my self or anything like that.

Sometimes it happens when I am trying to diagnose a problem and I keep barking up the same solution.  

Other times, it happens  emotionally.  My brain can get stuck on something emotionally and I keep going over it again and again.  Ruminating over past incidents becomes a bit of a tape that gets played over and over again.  I find I can ruminate over unhappy or unfair things a bit excessively.

I wonder how much of this is related to my crappy vision.  There is a link between strabismus (abnormal alignment of the eyes) and depression.  Some of this is probably socially induced in that you can't see what's happening so you are out of sync with the group or you literally didn't see something right in front of you.

Other times, I think I have developed an interior world... so I can be walking down the street and pondering thoughts about the past, future, or things far afield... unlike the rest of the world who is present in the moment.  For a large portion of my life, I have been living in a bit of a tunnel.   I wonder how much of this disconnectedness leads to some depression.  It definitely aids in rumination which can get a little unhealthy. 

For an Asperger's view on perseveration, see
Aspie Teacher � Perseveration and the Broken Record


Bookmark and Share
Enhanced by Zemanta