Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Eye Movements & a Struggling Adult Reader Who Has an MBA

Eye ExaminationImage by Richardzinho via Flickr
"I asked my friend to cover one eye and to follow my pen as it moved in a slow arc in front of her eyes, up, down, across, and circling in toward her face. Then she covered the other eye and we repeated the activity. She had no problem making smooth eye movements to track the moving pen so her ocular pursuits look fine. She could even maintain a conversation while doing this activity. Next, one eye at a time again, I asked my friend to look at one pen and then, on my signal, jump her eye to another. She could not keep her fixation on the first object, nor could she accurately locate the second. When she visits a developmental optometrist for a thorough eye exam, I predict that she will receive a diagnosis of saccadic deficits. "
Eye Can Too! Read: Eye Movements & a Struggling Adult Reader Who Has an MBA



Bookmark and Share
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]