Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting My Feet on the Ground

my toesImage via WikipediaWell, today, I got my toes in traction again, aka "racking the toes".  Only this time, I had my second and fourth toe pulled.  Then I stimmed my feet with electrical stim.
Then I saw one of Dr. Diamond's assistants who teaches Pilates.  She taught me some exercises to do with my hips and legs so that my legs would turn the feet properly.  
I saw Doctor Diamond who taped my feet again. Eventually, he will tape my feet to a 20% correction from the normal pointing straight ahead.  Then he will give me some orthotics.
He also gave me a report of his findings

:

1.  Rearfoot varus. My feet are a little bit deformed; that is, they are inverted and tilt a bit towards the middle of my body:
2.   I don't have good range of motion of my plantar flexion, dorsiflexion, subtalar, transverse tarsal and MPJ.  For those of my gentle readers who don't know their foot anatomy:



3.  My gastrocnemius muscles (back of calf) are moderately tight.  



 So what does this mean?  My feet aren't firmly on the ground because they rotate inward.  Plantar Flexion has to do with standing on your toes.  Dorsiflexion is bringing your leg closer to your toes, on say, a bounce.  Plantar flexion and dorsiflexion impact how fast you can run.

As my range of motion for my feet is limited so I don't pivot as quickly as, say, many basketball stars, tennis players or dancers. 

I guess I know why I avoided a lot of sports in high school.  But then, again, I made up for a certain amount of this when I attended college.  I ran 3-6 miles a day regularly (once as much as 10 miles).  I hiked over 15 miles in one day with a 30 lb pack on my back.  And I never thought that my feet should hurt any more than everyone else's.
Enhanced by Zemanta