Sunday, January 2, 2011

Brain Fitness for Seniors And Anyone Else Who Wants 12 Quick Steps to A Sharper Brain

I know... I know... I missed the Christmas season with this one... but I thought it was so cute that I thought I would share.  It's not really  a memory problem but a cultural one.  Yes, that's it!   Christmas is culturally defined.  For those in the Orthodox Christian tradition, the Christmas season really doesn't end until the Epiphany on January 6.  So, as Einstein said, it is all relative.  I'm really not late for Christmas after all.

Maybe I have been doing it all wrong with all this therapy.  Maybe I need to just follow 12 days of Brain Fitness and I'd be done.   This little list hits the major points of brain fitness that you'd find at Reader's Digest or any other similar popular periodicals.  Maybe all I need is:Christmas lights on Aleksanterinkatu.Image via Wikipedia
 
On the twelfth day of Brain Fitness
My true love gave to me:

12 New Neural Pathways
11 Social Card Games
10 Dark Chocolate Bars
9 Oz of Salmon
8 Hours of Sleeping
7 Cups of Green Tea
6 Bottles of Red Wine
5 Hours of Exercise
4 Walnuts and Almonds
3 Kinds of Berries
2 Power Naps

And Brain Training For Neuro-plasticity!

http://brainfitnessnow.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/12-days-of-brain-fitness-christmas/

On the other hand, the folks over at SharpBrains would beg to differ.  They have 10 Myths of Cognitive Fitness:

Myth 10: For­get about struc­tured brain training…all you need is to talk to friends, read the paper and do puzzles.
Real­ity: While more men­tal stim­u­la­tion is always bet­ter than less, you should know that not all types of men­tal exer­cise are the same at enhanc­ing tar­geted cog­ni­tive and emo­tional skills.
Growth only really comes at the point of resis­tance, but that is the moment that we tend to stop. Because it hurts…pushing our lim­its is a mus­cle that can be cul­ti­vated like any other–incrementally” — Joshua Wait­zkin, chess cham­pion and author of The Art of Learn­ing.

Enhanced by Zemanta