Friday, April 22, 2011

Curious about Vision Therapy's Wider Impacts

Getting back on the stick.  MIL passed away 2 weeks ago and life is returning back to normal which means going back to therapy and blogging.  Many thanks to my gentle readers for bearing with me at this time.

Plates from the Seven Lamps of Architecture - ...Image via Wikipedia In returning back to vision therapy, I am wondering about the wider effects of vision therapy especially as it relates to higher order functioning in areas like organization, visual spatial skills and planning.  I feel like I am more organized and that it is easier to be organized.  Not that I have conquered these mountains yet, but I do feel that it is a lot easier.

For one thing, filling out forms is MUCH EASIER.  I used to really hate filling out forms with a passion.  I know I have company here.  Who likes paperwork?  But filling out paperwork used to be extremely fatiguing and used to provoke a lot of anxiety.   Anxiety pondering the paperwork to be done and then anxiety while doing the paperwork.  Not that I enjoy paperwork these days, but it can be done without getting so tired and definitely without  much angst.

On a side note, the only thing left to get conquered with paperwork is getting a looser grasp on a pen.  On my evaluations,  I have superior grip strength which I suppose has some advantages somewhere.  But being the King Kong of mashing pencils and pens is very tiring to the hands.  I am starting to try to use special pen grips which seem to help because my hands can get very tired from crushing a pen while doing a lot of paperwork. 

Also, when I get depth perception, I am wondering how that will affect my emotional and social side.  What will it be like to understand relationships and sense the feelings  between myself and the physical world?


What and How will I feel about nature, the birds, the flowers, the rivers, and the trees in the very lush area that I call home?

When I read about architecture,  discussions about dormer roofs, walkways, there's always an intent by the architect to evoke some sort of emotion.  In his book, Seven Lamps of Architecture, the 19th century English art critic, John Ruskin wrote that architecture was the "art which so disposes and adorns the edifices raised by men ... that the sight of them" contributes "to his mental health, power, and pleasure".

Fast forward to the 20th century, there is a lot of interest in the interplay of design, thought, emotions and the environment.   John Olds, director of the Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study at George Mason University, is looking into the intersection of neuroscience and architecture.   

"According to Olds, there are genuine neurological connections between behavior and the physical space it takes place in. He reasons that babies learn how to reason their way through the world almost entirely through visual and auditory stimuli, which are intimately connected to the surrounding environment. With new research showing that, even in adulthood, the brain remains remarkably malleable, Olds believes that a strong argument can be made that the architecture and design of a building can possess strong psychological impacts.

'A space affects your eyes and it affects your sound, your hearing, and just through those two sensory modalities alone, those signals go into the brain and we can image the brain, non invasively, and see the effect of visual and auditory stimuli in the brain in living adults and we know it’s profound,' said Olds."

Finally, I am wondering how living in a world where people have dimensionality will impact me emotionally.  In reading about architecture, you read about how forms and relationships between inanimate objects evoke emotion.  So I am wondering about how forms and relationships between animate objects like people spark emotional relations.


I wonder if anyone has any stories about how moving from a flat world into a full world has changed them?  Or any professionals have seen how this has changed their patients?  I realize I could be wandering off the deep end here and don't want to fall into reducing all the problems in the world to eye problems but I can't be entirely convinced that fixing the gaze does not have more profound effects on the person.  What do you think?
Enhanced by Zemanta