Friday, July 29, 2011

Organizing: I'm an Innie and My Husband is an Outie

As I said in a previous post, I am restarting my organizing kick.  I had started to organize myself before Interactive Metronome therapy but had to take a break during therapy.

As I talked about in a previous post, I feel much better and now want to do everything... that is, everything at once.   Sigh.  Now that is no way to be organized, is it? 

Time ManagementImage by Intersection Consulting via Flickrstatic vs dynamic time management systemsImage by fwconsulting via FlickrAlso, I am finding that my original organizing strategy is not working.  I had originally thought about organizing things before I started organizing time, (that is, finding a time management strategy that actually works).  I thought I could shovel the floatsam and jetsam of the tide of stuff leisurely at my own pace. Then, freed from the tyranny of stuff, I could think about creating a schedule and pick up the pace a bit.  My original strategy was not to get my schedule messed up because I have to take the time to find something.

Now, that I am excited about being able to do other things with myself like paint pictures and move my body in dance and exercise, I want to do other things and not just chores.   In fact, I think it is necessary to do some sort of rhythmic exercise in order to keep up the gains of Interactive Metronome.  So I don't want to spend all my time just shoveling the mound of stuff.

Being excited about doing things, while a wonderful feeling, actually interferes with organization.  For example, I am really excited about painting.  I am really excited about a couple projects and feel a biological drive to do them... like I'VE GOT TO DO THIS!  It is hard to calm down as I am really exhilarated at the thought of painting a couple pictures.  One will be a self portrait from a wedding picture.  Another will be a color field picture.  (I am so into relating to color emotionally and really like Rothko).  And, another will be playing around with gels.  But, have I done any of them yet.  No.  I just can't find the time to do it. So, I am a whirly gig of emotion.Who's Afraid of Red, Yellow and Blue?, 1966. T...Image via Wikipedia

I have errands to run and a few organizational projects like tackling the paper mess in our house, repairing some clothes, scanning pictures into the computer and organizing my computer that are also not getting done.  Also, not getting done.

The other problem is that I am not living along.  I have a husband who makes his own contribution  to the pile of stuff.  It is, if I may say so, a rather large and generous contribution to the pile of stuff.  We also have different organizational styles.  I am an Innie and Hubby is an Outie.  I am focused on putting stuff where I can't see it.  Hubby likes things out.   I wish stuff would stay in the closet.  Hubby wants his stuff outed.  For me, there are good reasons to stay in the closet. I have problems processing crowded visual fields... so if there is a lot of mess it is just hard on me to focus on things. TMI.  Too much information.  Literally. Also, I have found it is easier to clean when you are dealing with a flat plane.  The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.  That is,  stuff stays in its spot and you can run by with a duster quite easily.  So I stuff things in drawers.  Not always organized but out of the way. Hubby views things quite differently.  He likes things out where he can see it and touch it.  He loves crowded visual fields as he is quite visually spatially oriented.  So what to do.

Many marriages have foundered on this basic question of how to organize stuff.  My husband and I have a good marriage and we don't want to be separated by stuff.  Yet, it does irritate us.  Fortunately, we look at each other's capabilities and try to make allowances for each other's weaknesses.  


So what to do.  I did write down most of the things to do in Toodledo on my iPhone.  For those of you not familiar with Toodledo, it is a great list manager with scheduling and alerts.  However, I don't think I am going to keep to today's list of things as I have lost something important and have to scurry about to find it.  So today's schedule is a bit pre-empted and I will have to resort and reorganize for Monday.


Enhanced by Zemanta