Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thoughts on Finishing Second Round of Interactive Metronome

I finished my second round of Interactive Metronome (IM) last Friday. On the assessment most of my scores were between 30 and 50 milliseconds except for toe tapping which scored 80 milliseconds. I'm not too worried about toe tapping because in the exercises it was running around 50 milliseconds. During the exercises, I have been running mostly 30 and 50 milliseconds which puts me in the good range. Overall, I have improved 44% since I started this round of IM. I think that I have improved about 150% since the very beginning of therapy.  Literally.Metronome 3Image by nigel_appleton via Flickr

My therapists have noted that I seem a bit less robotic and a lot more fluid in my motions. So that's a good thing. I have one more round of IM scheduled for later in the year and then we will probably move on to Captain's Log. I have been thoroughly exhausted by IM and have been spending my time lumping about or sleeping after each session. When I finally finished IM, I was still pretty tired for a few days afterwards. Also, I started feeling a little bit mentally wifty after IM but that has worn off. Tinnitus also flared up a little bit but is wearing off. I went back to using my sound oasis for a bit or listening to a relaxation tape.

My last week of IM was spent in that never never land when you are too tired or worn out or sick to do anything but you aren't able to sleep or have just slept too much. I was so tired my eyes were worn out and I couldn't read. You try clapping your hands or tapping your toes for 30 minutes straight. So, I listened to music, relaxation tapes or listened to a course on counsciousness by John Kihlstrom on Itunes. It was pretty interesting and I will be blogging on it anon.

After IM, I do feel a lot mentally sharper-- I don't know how to describe it. But I feel like I am clearer and somehow that, for the first time, my body is starting to function the way that it is supposed to. I have noticed that my depth perception has improved dramatically.  My hearing has improved somewhat.   More about that anon.

On the one hand, I feel like running out and doing all these things. I am thinking that since my body is now responding in a normal range, that I'd like to run out and play tennis and the violin and piano and dance.  I'd like to do more things with my hands to see how they really are working together.  I'd like to  I have recently painted a picture and have gotten more involved with a church group. On the other hand, I feel like I want to do all these things and am not well organized. I want to do everything at once and I want to make up for lost time. I will be blogging more about getting organized as well.

On the one hand, I feel like I am very mentally clear. On the other hand, I am starting to notice when my attention drifts and that is not what I really want to have happen. It's like I'm herding sheep and a bunch of them are straying and I have to stop and lasso them back into the herd. I do get back on track but I start to think that maybe those sheep should never have left the pack in the first place.

Well, I will have the next two months off.  I have my post assessment chat in six weeks and then we will be scheduling the next round of IM. 

Enhanced by Zemanta