Saturday, March 10, 2012

Afternoon of a Faun



Faun Pose
Faun Pose (Photo credit: Amelie Highfield)
I have been a bit pooped out and have been listening to "Afternoon of a Faun" by Debussy.  There is an amazing recording by Leopold Stokowski on Youtube that really captures all the colors of that piece.  It's a very meditative piece about a dreamy afternoon.  Stokowski really captures the delicate overtones and softness. 

When I listen to it, I just let my mind travel up and down my body in a kind of Buddhist or yogic way.  Just letting my mind be aware of the different sensations in my body.  Not trying to think of anything or trying to think of nothing.  Just letting my body and mind be.  If a conscious thought comes in, I just note it and see if there is a physical sensation.  

There is a very interesting duet between oboes and flutes.  Kind of a mixture of feelings between longing and imagination.  So sometimes, I just let my mind drift  and let it just sit in different emotional states and sometimes I just watch colors or remember lazy spring and summer days. 

It's just a nice way to let your mind, spirit, and body just be one with the universe and its collective consciousness.

Copyright © 2010-2011 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex