Tuesday, March 13, 2012

OOOHHH, OOOH, OOOHH and Memory Issues

Working memory model
Image via Wikipedia
I have been recently blogging about memory issues that are being uncovered in my auditory therapies.  As my Gentle Readers recall, I did see a neuropsychologist a while back about doing Cogmed, a memory program for these issues.  He had looked at my assessment scores for memory on my neuropsychological test and said that they fell in the normal range.  So I left it at that for the time being.

However, Memory raises its little head, yet once again.  Wilma, my occupational therapist, has noted that at the beginning of our sessions, I can come in quite excited and start blurting out whatever is on my mind at the time without giving it a bit of a preface.  I don't mean to be rude and I am generally quite happy and excited to see her and there has been a lot going on.  However, I can see that it might be a bit off putting to my "social partner" if they don't have a certain space for an introduction and a departure.

Wilma thinks that this could be a bit of a working memory issue.  I just don't have a lot of space in my memory box and that when I have things I really want to remember to tell her that I just have to blurt it out before I forget it.  It's kind of like the kid who has to go to the bathroom and starts hopping up and down going OOOH, OOOH, OOOHH,  I GOTTA GO!!! It's like OOOH, OOOH, OOOHH, I gotta say this before I forget it!!!

There are some compensations I can learn to make it easier on the people around me and maybe even myself.   But for right now, we have agreed that I am going to take a couple weeks and try and observe my behavior a bit and see under what conditions this behavior arises.


Copyright © 2010-2011 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex