Monday, April 23, 2012

My vision is getting better and better: More awareness of space

Eye movements abductors
Eye movements abductors (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Between the prisms, vision therapy, Cellfield and RevitalVision, I am seeing more space.

The prisms are moving my eyes closer together.  I can do about 30 diopters on one measure and 18 diopters on another measure.  Sorry for the vision therapy junkies but I forget which is base in and which is base out.  I have intermittant divergent strabismus so my problem is getting my eyes to converge properly. 

My left eye is waking up and staying on as  a result of RevitalVision.  RevitalVision involves looking at Gabor patches in an effort to improve contrast sensitivity.  Sometimes amblyopia results when the lazy eye does not see the world with the same contrast as the better eye or because the lazy eye needs a much stronger prescription than the better eye. .  Sometimes, amblyopia results because of misalignment of the eye. Whatever the cause of my left eye shutting down,  I am definitely seeing a lot more detail in the world and a lot more space between objects and a lot more dimensionality in the world.  It stands to reason if you have a lot more clarity you can see a lot more definition between objects and so they pop out more.


I am wondering since their software works so well for amblyopia that I might want to try RevitalVision's program for farsightedness.  I am having some problems with my accommodative system.   The accommodative system involves the contraction of a small muscle inside the eye to cause the natural lens in the eye to change its shape and allow images to focus properly on the back surface of the eye.  As you age, this system gets weaker naturally.  However, in order to achieve proper 3D vision, I need to get these muscles moving.   I  am finishing up the program for amblyopia  and will take a rest from doing these set of exercises for about a month and then tackle accommodation.

Additionally, I am doing level 3 of Cellfield.  It involves reading from colored plastic cards and answering questions.  It is supposed to help both vision and working memoryStationary vision involves the parvocellular (P) pathways. Reading words and sentences places a greater
demand upon transient vision, which involves the magnocellular (M) pathways, which work in parallel with the P pathways. The M pathways have been shown in reading to be implicated in reading difficulties at several levels.  The Cellfield intervention activates and extends the M pathways, not only in their role with respect to eye movement control, but also with respect to contrast sensitivity and to peripheral vision. This occurs simultaneously with the auditory phonological exercises that are performed in every session.


Copyright © 2010-2012 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex
Enhanced by Zemanta