Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Electric Car and Auditory Processing

LAS VEGAS - JANUARY 07:  The Chevy Volt is dis...
LAS VEGAS - JANUARY 07: The Chevy Volt is displayed at the 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show at the Las Vegas Hilton January 7, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada. CES, the world's largest annual consumer technology tradeshow, runs through January 10. The gadget show is expected to feature 2,500 exhibitors showing off their latest products and services to about 110,000 attendees. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
Like a lot of people, hubby and I have been very prudent through the Great Recession and have lived modestly (except for medical expenditures! and last year's vacations).  As a result, we have some really old cars that have had it:  a 1999 Acura Integra with 179,000 miles on it and a 1997 Ford Thunderbird with a transmission that was on the verge of falling out.   So, with my husband returning to work, we decided to buy a new car.

We fell into the green thing and got a super good deal on a Chevy Volt.  Love the car.  Got 87 mpg on a trip out to Atlantic City.  Got 50 mpg one day when we didn't charge.

But our ears love the car too.  Since our good deal included a high end stereo system (really, what more do you need in a car), Bluetooth and an inboard GPS, we are in heaven.  An electric car rides nice and quietly so we don't have any background engine noise.   Really nice for those of us with problems hearing signals in noise.

Also, with an integrated system, I can hear the GPS instructions no matter how loud I play my music!  The audio system lowers the music volume and increases the GPS volume.  Real nice.   In my Acura, when I am grooving to the tunes on a long trip, I can miss my instructions.  So, occasionally, I would miss a turn because I was too into my music.

Bluetoothed phone is also real nice too.  I can hear my cell phone nice and clearly regardless of the ambient noise.  Nice features for those suffering from auditory processing.


Copyright © 2010-2012 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex