Monday, May 28, 2012

What To Do With Too Many Greens From Your CSA

Lettuce
Lettuce (Photo credit: photofarmer)
For a lot of us in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where we've signed up to get a box of veggies each week, this is the time of year when we get inundated with greens.  So, I've got way too many greens.  In fact, due to the weather, we are drowning in spinach and we have been told we are going to be getting a lot more.

Spinach is relatively easy to deal with.  You can always boil it, stir fry it, or just fry it and it cooks down.  Today we made a nice Indian dish with spinach and substituted tofu for the Indian cheese.

However, we have tons of lettuce, arugala and bock choy.  I am turning much of these into soups or pilafs if I can't eat them as salads.

I have a nice recipe for arugala and chickpea and potato soup.  Arugula gives the soup a nice peppery zing.

As for lettuce, there is always lettuce wraps.  But when you just want to get rid of the stuff before it goes off, you've got to cook it in one form or another?
 Much of the time we end up throwing it out and feeling guilty that somehow we were not as thrifty as we should be.   Most people can throw their lettuce or bock choy into a stir fry.  However, that is cumbersome for our house.  I am gluten free and hubby is low sodium and ne'er the twain shall meet -- at least as far as soy sauce is concerned.  There is no such thing, currently, as a truly low sodium and gluten free soy sauce.  And, what's Chinese food without soy sauce?


So we have to be more inventive.   I might make a pilaf and chop up the lettuce and cook it up before it goes bad.  Or, I might make a soup out of last night's bowl of salad.   I made a salad of lettuce, mandarin oranges, and sliced water chestnuts.  So, I might just add the orange water from the can and some vegetable broth and some gluten free noodles and I am in business.  Necessity is the mother of invention.