Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Who Cut The Cheese?

It really does matter!

I think I have a problem with industrial Cheese--but not all artisanal cheese.   I am wondering if I really have another sensitivity to cheese which is not really a  casein allergy but a reaction to something used in processing cheese on a mass scale.

You know, when you are on a diet that doesn't let you eat some of your old time favorite foods, every once in a while, even the best of us falls off and eats something we shouldn't.  Once every couple months, I do go out and eat Italian and I pay mightily for it.  So, I try to really limit myself to something I will really enjoy.

This time, the sin was buying some DiBruno's cheese and sausage.  Generally, I really stay away from this stuff because my husband has high blood pressure and this stuff is no  good and, of course, I often end up itching like mad.  But, last week, I was weak and bought some mozzarella and cheddar cheese.

DiBruno's
DiBruno's (Photo credit: snowpea&bokchoi)
Quel surprise!  I ate a little bit each day for the past week and I don't have a stomach ache.  I am  itching only a little bit;  but I have been eating cheese daily for over a week so I am probably taxing myself.  Didn't bother taking the glutenease or lactase.   I wonder if it is because DiBruno's does not use the crap that Big Cheese dumps into its cheese.

DiBruno's is a family run company that started out in 1939 as a little cheese shop on 9th Street in the Italian Market here in Philadelphia.  For those of you not from Philadelphia, the Italian Market is still pretty much like it was when Rocky Balboa ran down 9th Street-- a bit dingy,
English: Bronze statue of Rocky Balboa at the ...
English: Bronze statue of Rocky Balboa at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, created by A. Thomas Schomberg, as commissioned by Sylvester Stallone. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
fires lit in barrels, stacked produce on carts, piles of trash.  The neighborhood is changing a  little bit.  Italians are moving out and the Hispanics, Chinese and Vietnamese are moving in.  But the more things change, the more things stay the same.

"Just about every Saturday morning, Emilio Mignucci gets up early and drives from his house in Havertown (where he moved when he had kids) to 9th Street to open the original Di Bruno’s store for its busiest day of the week. After pulling the various cheeses out of the ancient refrigerated walk-in, stacking the pepperoni, he’ll unlock the doors at 8 a.m. and work behind the counter in a black polo shirt monogrammed with the Di Bruno’s logo, jostling for space with whichever of the 12 employees are on that day, bantering with customers, offering samples — trying to keep the spirit of Danny and Joe Di Bruno alive."  Philadelphia Magazine


I think that it is the same drive to keep the spirit of Danny and Joe DiBruno that keeps the current owners who are descendants of Danny and Joe from crapping up their cheese.   My suspicion is that I am not allergic to the cheese itself but to whatever is happening to the milk or cheese processing.






Copyright © 2010-2012 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex
Enhanced by Zemanta