Sunday, December 2, 2012

Quest for Binocular Vision Continues with Behavioral Optometrist

English: Sir (1805–1841), Scottish traveller a...
English: Sir (1805–1841), Scottish traveller and explorer, in the Costume of Bokharra. Originally published in Cabool: Being a Personal Narrative of a Journey To, and Residence in That City, 1836-38 by Alexander Burnes. Published by John Murray (London), 1842. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."  --Tennyson

I feel like Alexander Burnes, "Bookhara Burnes".  "Sent to India aged just sixteen to make his fortune, Alexander Burnes soon revealed an extraordinary talent for languages, combined with a boyish charm, insatiable curiosity, and irrepressible enthusiasm. By the age of 26 he had so impressed his superiors that he was entrusted with the task of delivering a gift of horses from King William IV to the Maharajah of Lahore. In reality he was acting as a diplomat and spy. Having succeeded, he was then dispatched on a much more dangerous mission, to explore the political and ethnic realities amongst the Khanates of Afghanistan and Central Asia. "

Only instead of traveling the wilds of Central Asia,  I have been traversing the thicket of my visual cortex.  Continuing my quest for binocular vision, I met with Dr. Blackburn in Delaware and spent our time together recapping my history, gossiping about the vision therapy profession and setting out a course to tackle my problem.

We started with my history.   Truly, to paraphrase the Odyssey,

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story of that woman skilled in all ways of contending, the wanderer, harried for years on end... 

Tell me, Muse, of the woman of many ways, who was driven
far journeys ...

Many were they whose cities she saw, whose minds she learned of,
many the pains he suffered in her spirit on the wide sea,
struggling for his own life and the improvement of her neurology...


Well, it takes me quite some time to recap my adventures through my visual system and my neurology. It is an epic worthy of a bard! Get me a lyre and I will sing to you my adventures.

Well back on the ranch.   I gave my now considerable stack of reports and opinions from my different therapists.  He thumbed through them and asked me some questions.

Dr. Blackburn explained his approach is going to be different from Dr. Herzberg and Seiderman.  Dr. Herzberg followed more of a medical approach and Dr. Seiderman has his own individual take on vision therapy.  Dr.  Blackburn was just a few years behind Dr. Herzberg  in optometry school and he had interned with Seiderman for a six months.  Dr. Blackburn's describes his model as between that of Skeffington and Paul Harris and being more multi sensory .  So we shall see where this takes me.

We spent most of our session just talking about my history as it is a bit complex.  However, Dr. Blackburn did get a few measurements in.  He is reading that I do have stereopsis, in fact, he was reading 20 seconds of stereopsis.   He waved an eye cover back and forth as I focused on the letter B.  He really worked it very hard and started to see where my vision broke down.  The funny thing is that I began to be more aware of space shortly thereafter and for the rest of the day.

So, maybe, I do have 3d vision after all.  It is possible that in the process of vision therapy that I might have over-corrected.  So maybe, one hypothesis might be that I just need to correct back.

I will undergo more testing and then do some vision therapy starting in January.



Copyright © 2010-2012 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex

Enhanced by Zemanta