Thursday, April 11, 2013

Discussion of Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy

English: music therapy
English: music therapy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
"Nothing activates the brain so extensively as music," says Oliver Sacks, M.D., professor of neurology at Columbia University and author of Musicophilia." 

 Interesting discussion of Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy.  I got interested in music therapy for a couple of reasons:

1.  Overall brain functioning.  Like Oliver Sacks says, music activates many parts of the brain.  I think part of my problem is overall interconnectivity between various parts of the brain.

2.  Rhythm.  Just keep reinforcing previous Interactive Metronome therapy to help with problems  that I have had with rhythm and timing.

3.  Motor Apraxia.  I am  starting to wonder about overall apraxia and, in particular, apraxia involving speech.  My music therapist would like me to sing but I have been too embarrassed.

4.  Memory.  Memory issues are coming to the fore front so I think music could help with that.

http://www.barcelonapublishers.com/QIMTV5/Cooper(2010)QIMT5(3)86-115.pdf
Enhanced by Zemanta