Friday, April 26, 2013

Interesting post on language and vision

Thanks Suzanna for your question. Firstly you ask: "Do any of your patients experience linguistic confusion?"

The answer is definitely YES. In 1976, while studying Speech Pathology and Audiology for my Master's degree work, I published a paper on visual and auditory processing. As we well know there are visual connections in the brain that are linked from auditory parts. What this means is that our hearing and listening is affected as we re-educate the visual processing system. In my own case, at the age of 39, I could understand words from a song on the radio, while driving, for the first time. In addition, I have always had a kind of dyslexic approach to languages and great fear. This is changing now. In my case, it took a while before I had the confidence to verbalise, say words in German, for example. It appears that the binocular vision process activates new and deeper pathways that disorganises habitual language patterns. Fortunately, this is short-lived in my patients.

Sovoto.com

Enhanced by Zemanta