STOP: Space, Time, Objects, People.
Space: Read the Room. What's Going On?
Time: Be on the TimeLine, Have a sense of Pace and Time Passing
What is coming Up?
Object: Read the Object
People: Read People, Face, Body, Appearance, Mood, Pace, Saying
Then Discusses the STOP Paradigm in terms of 3 Levels of Executive Functioning:
- Self Regulation
- Organization and Integration of Information
- Higher Order Reasoning Skills
For Self Regulation:
Picture the Space You are in or are Going to be In
- What does the outcome look like?
- What plan will you need to make it look like this?
T: Account for Time
O: Determine what objects are necessary to complete the task
- When will this happen or does it need to be completed by
•What are the time expectations
- How much time is involved
- Will the pace of time feel fast or slow
- The information, The materials , The plan
P: What people do you need or can you expect to interact with?
- Find materials
- Purchase materials
- Make do with what you have
Also, think about capacity for Attention.
I really like the presentation because it gives me a framework to look at some of my higher order deficits:
- Space: It can be hard for me to read the room when my eyes aren't focusing and I don't have depth perception, yet. These skills are getting better day by day but they aren't there yet.
- Time: Still a bit of a problem making and being on the time line. Getting better at being on time but still not there yet. I think getting my sleep sorted out is helping as my body just doesn't get as tired out and can maintain the pace.
- Object: Read the Object. Ditto on vision skills. Also, occular motor integration is getting important. So I can manipulate the object.
- People. Ditto on Vision skills. Need to work on Auditory. Also audio visual integration is really important here.