Saturday, May 18, 2013

Local and Global Auditory Processing: Behavioral and ERP Evidence

Since my vision is improving and I am able to do more with two eyes, I am noticing that I am doing more global processing.  I was wondering about improving my global processing with my auditory system as well and I came across this interesting article that suggests that timing is a key component of global auditory processing. 

The study described here suggests that temporal aspects of auditory stimuli better capture the local-global distinction. By combining short (40 ms) frequency modulated tones in series to create global auditory patterns (500 ms), we independently varied whether pitch increased or decreased over short time spans (local) and longer time spans (global). Accuracy and reaction time measures revealed better performance for global judgments and asymmetric interference that were modulated by amount of pitch change. 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1850243/
Enhanced by Zemanta