Thursday, September 18, 2014

Journeys Through Yoga Nidra

Regions of the brain affected by PTSD and stress.
Regions of the brain affected by PTSD and stress. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I have just put aside neurofeedback for a little while as it has led me to looking more at my psyche rather  than strictly neurological problems such as attention.  In the process of trying to use open focus, I started to notice that I had been carrying around a lot of stress and anxiety… that a lot of my problems in trying to focus were because I was ruminating about a number of upsetting events.   Also, I noticed that I was carrying around a lot of pain in my body that I couldn't link back to any specific event.  It was just there.

Richard Miller (psychologist)
Richard Miller (psychologist) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
So, I started to look around at trauma and other events surrounding trauma and I stumbled upon  yoga nidra, a yoga  based therapy that is being used to treat veterans with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress D
isorder).   Dr. Richard Miller had modified yoga scriptures to make them more accessible to military personnel, called iRest.   Now, this is not the type of yoga you usually think about with all sorts of odd ball positions (although I have done that, too).  No, it is not part of the current yoga craze of wearing Lulumon $100 yoga pants.

It is done lying down and focuses on relaxing, ascertaining your heart's purpose or your life intention and then following a circle of awareness around the body, reiterating the heart's purpose, pairing opposing states such as lightness and heaviness, feeling broad and narrow, or anxious and calm and coming back to awareness.

I have been doing it daily and sometimes a couple of times a day and it has really put me in a new space.    The funny thing is that I notice periodic, fleeting, improvements in my vision as I do this.


Copyright © 2010-2014 Traveller Journey Through The Cortex